Saturday, August 11, 2012

My Big Bottom Blessing by Teasi Cannon

I got up this morning, and I didn't stand on the scale.  True story.  If you said "who cares?", then don't bother reading the rest of my book review.  I got up this morning, and I looked in the mirror, and I thanked God for my surgery scar, and the pregnancy fat I never lost, and for seeing me as beautiful every time He looks at me.  Really. Did you say "who cares?" again? Then, you've read far enough.  I was up during the night thinking about what has occurred during my lifetime to cause me to look at myself with Satan's eyes, instead of God's eyes.  To think about emotional wounds, and forgiveness, and the way I picture God.  Then, I slept for a while, and got out of bed this morning, and reminded myself to live like the child of the King. Because I am one. I am a Princess.

Teasi Cannon brings us face-to-face with who we are, not who we think we are. With brutal honesty about the emotional wounds of her own life (including childhood sexual abuse), she leads us though an examination of our own hearts and minds in an attempt to help us overcome our wrong views of our female bodies.  She gives us permission to be free of the scale, and the horrors of the mirror, and instead to examine our hearts, because "man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart". "Oh, a 'feel good' book?", you're thinking. Nope. You won't feel good after you read each chapter. You'll answer the questions, and say "ew, that's ugly, have I really been thinking and behaving like that? Wow, that needs to change. Right now".

I always manage to find my "favorite quote" when I read. This one is on page 62, when Teasi is being prayed over, and "feels nothing".  "The prayer is not working", she says. "I thought for sure he was going to tell me that I wasn't feeling anything because I was desperately lost. That mine was a case like none other, and that there truly was no hope for me. But that's not what he said. Although what he did say wasn't much better, it got me to thinking.  He simply said, "It doesn't matter if you feel it or not. The truth is still the truth."  

"My Big Bottom Blessing: How Hating My Body Led to Loving My Life" is just that. Truth.  It's time to bury the lies. Forever. It's time to put Satan's words where they belong. Buried. Forever. It doesn't matter if you feel it or not when you read the book. The truth is still the truth.

Take a peek at the first chapter, and the book trailer here:https://www.facebook.com/teasicannon/app_208195102528120

When you're done reading the first chapter, I hope you're craving more. Don't just buy the book for yourself.   Share it with a close friend. Someone you can talk to over tea and cookies (yes, I said "cookies", not low-fat, air-filled puffy things with 0 points). If you're going to examine your life, you definitely want to have cookies. Chocolate cookies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6pS5HCkgPI

No comments:

Post a Comment